COFFEEECONTALK S1 Ep 7
What is COFFEEECONTALK?
COFFEEECONTALK is an interview series which is posted on GIPE’s undergrad YouTube channel on the last day of every month. It is a part of The 8:10 newsletter’s Econcordia section and thus revolves around Economics, Business and Finance.
Here’s what’s in store for this episode!
For this episode of COFFEEECONTALK, we have the pleasure of inviting Mr. Smit Gade. Smit Sir is a visiting professor of Development Economics at Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune. He is also a Senior Data and Research Manager at Good Business Lab.
In this interview with Mr. Smit, Ayati and Madhura discuss the plethora of career options open for enthusiasts of Development Economics and how the toll on women labour force participation due to the Covid-19 pandemic is likely to affect economic development. Stay tuned!
Following are the questions and their timestamps:
- (0.36) Impact evaluation is one of the many interesting areas of research in development economics and we have long wondered what it is that makes it so interesting! Could you please share some of your experiences while working in this field?
- (6.48) Development Economics is increasingly becoming an extremely popular field of study. Could you throw some light on the various avenues that are open for a student studying Development Economics?
- (12.13) We would love to know more about the Socialist versus Neoliberal schools of thought in terms of poverty?
- (25.50) Lately, a lot of focus is being put on the role of gender equity and equality in the economic development of any country/region. We have seen how The COVID-19 pandemic has taken an unprecedented toll on women’s labour force participation across the world. In a country like India, where skewed gender norms have already been prevalent for the longest time, what do you think this would translate into in terms of India’s economic development?
- (38.35) Would you like to share something about your current research question(s)? Also, how have you seen Development Economics develop over the years since you first started working with this subject?
–Interviewed by Madhura Joshi and Ayati Mishra (SYBSc Div-2, 2020-23)